So, what if you’re single on Valentine’s Day? Do you go out? Do you stay in? Do you phone a friend? Who knows what you are supposed to do!
Maybe you’re feeling a bit down in the dumps. What then? Do you really want to be a Debbie downer on everyone else? Is that how you see yourself? A Debbie downer? Or, just a friend who could do with cheering up?
First things first. Put the kettle on.. and take a deep breath! The sun is shining and today’s going to be a good day! Maybe not a great day for you, but it can be a good day.
So, come away from social media just for today – do you really want to see all those gushing celebs holding hands and showing off those shimmering gifts? Hell no! Why would you!
Let’s make today all about you. If you are working, then just keep smiling, (even if it is through gritted teeth) and wish everyone Happy Valentines but also see who’s up for a cheeky Nando’s or Wagamama’s for lunch? Afterall, not everyone’s married or dating so why not grab some friends and have some fun to break the day up! Keep a note pad on you as well and jot down any random thoughts you have about what you’d like to spend this evening doing. By the time the clock strikes 5pm you’re off..to have some well-deserved ‘me time’.
If you have the day to yourself, try to fill it will activities that will make you feel like you’ve achieved something. Walk, go to Sainsburys, dig up some weeds, buy some new plants…oh and swing by into Costas for a little Latte on the way!
Reflect on all the good things you have going on in your life – your family, friends, your dog, your job and your home and any else that makes you smile. If you feel like somethings missing, ask yourself, “what can I do to make my life better/more fun/interesting etc. Ask the question and then search for the answers. Maybe you want to be more creative and try something arty or sing or dance? Maybe you would like to start thinking about studying something completely different, or a career change. Anything is possible with a little bit of thinking and planning and if you get stuck, you can always come and see me to help get you started.
We are approaching Spring which means Holiday booking time! So, even if money is tight, start thinking about a mini-break or spa weekend away. If you have the funds for a week or two away, then great! Where are you going? Start planning and get excited!
So, what do you fancy doing this evening? (Listening to 10cc’s ‘I’m not in love’ over and over again is not on the menu btw!)
- Takeaway? Or grab one of the many cook books that have never been opened since Xmas and try a sizzling stir fry?
- Invite some mates over for a game’s night – you can have some real fun with a few bottles of fizz and a game of Jenga or Twister! Did you know laughter boosts the immune system, triggers the release of endorphins, the body’s natural feel-good chemicals and it burns calories!!! How good is that!
- Talking of burning calories – head down to the gym or swimming pool this evening. Put the headphones on, jack up the music and start pumping! It’s a great place to lose yourself and focus on something other than sad stuff!
- Try listening to your favourite podcast or a comedy podcast. It’s a great way to chill and take your mind of any negative thinking.
- If you’ve not got anyone to spend it with, for whatever reason, why not offer to look after a friend’s little munchkin for the evening so they can go out. It’s a win win – they get some much needed alone time and you get some fun time running around after little cuties.
If being alone makes you feel anxious then why not try Mindfulness? I have been teaching Mindfulness for a while now and the benefits are amazing. It helps you feel so calm and relaxed and in control of your emotions. Try downloading any of the apps.
If you have a lot of love to give but don’t have romance in your life, then remind yourself that there are people around you who love and care about you, so spend time with them. Appreciate what you can offer them and what they can give you.
And if none of that appeals to you…there’s always that bubble bath you never have time for and Britney Spears, Stronger’ playing at full volume!